8/1/11

Is Santorum Blowing It On Homosexuality?

No pun intended. Dan Savage has warned presidential candidate Rick Santorum that he will redefine the word "Rick" as he did with "Santorum" if the candidate does any gay bashing BS.

I don't think he's off to a good start.

SANTORUM: If the Supreme Court gives the right to consensual sexual activity then you have the right to incest, you have the right to polygamy, you have the right to all sorts of — you have the right to anything if it’s consent. When I said that, the gay community went ballistic and they came after me. The mainstream media called for me to resign because I was comparing homosexuality to incest and other things. No I wasn’t, I was saying if the standard is consent than how do you rationally draw to the line, you can’t. And they aren’t. And subsequent to that the Massachusetts decision and others came down and I stood for marriage. [...]
It is not fine with me that New York has destroyed marriage. It is not fine with me that New York has set a template that can cause great division in this country. There is not 50 definitions of marriage.
As Think Progress noted:

Lawrence, the Court did draw a line, noting that the right to consent has its limits. “The present case does not involve minors,” the majority ruled. “It does not involve persons who might be injured or coerced or who are situated in relationships where consent might not easily be refused. It does not involve public conduct or prostitution. It does not involve whether the government must give formal recognition to any relationship that homosexual persons seek to enter. The case does involve two adults who, with full and mutual consent from each other, engaged in sexual practices common to a homosexual lifestyle.”
Read more on the overturning of the sodomy laws.

No comments:

Post a Comment